East of Eden
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapters 1-9: Getting to Know Them

2 posters

Go down

Chapters 1-9: Getting to Know Them Empty Chapters 1-9: Getting to Know Them

Post by Mr. Goodrich Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:23 pm

In chapters 1-9 we get to know most of the characters in the novel. This part of the book is slow-moving but there are also a tremendous amount of descriptions of characters. It is important that you spend time thinking about who these characters are.

• Why is Cyrus in the novel? What does he add?

• Does feeding a baby only whiskey really give them an iron immune system (don’t answer this one…)?

• Who is Charles? Is his character consistent from childhood to adulthood or does he change?

• What makes Adam tick? Think about the decisions he makes. Is he reasonable? Driven by passion? something else? Why does he make them? For example, why does he reenlist in the army?

• Do you have at least a silhouette of the Hamilton children? They each are not central to the text but add something and, as such, we should be able to distinguish them.

• What do you think of Samuel Hamilton? Do you have a clear picture of who he is? What kind of father is he? As you continue reading and see more of him and his role in the text, pay attention to him.

• Cathy Aims?! Does she seem like a "moral monster" to you? Does this make her inhuman? Is the narrator suggesting she is not responsible the immoral things she does since she perhaps has a "malformed soul"?

Feel free to post you thoughts about any of these questions or post your own questions. You are also welcome to post thoughts you have from the text as a whole. I may post my favorite passages later on.

Mr. Goodrich

Last edited by Mr. Goodrich on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mr. Goodrich
Admin

https://east-of-eden.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Chapters 1-9: Getting to Know Them Empty Re: Chapters 1-9: Getting to Know Them

Post by selmapeper Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:19 pm

I'm unsure if I am doing this correctly, or if this message will even go through... But from what I have read, this book has such a simple story, but also very unique. Not only do the characters all have different personalities and ideas on life, but topics such as Love, Glory, and Fear are constantly reoccurring and I am not exactly sure what to make of it.

selmapeper

Back to top Go down

Chapters 1-9: Getting to Know Them Empty Grappling

Post by Mr. Goodrich Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:23 pm

Ms. Peper,

I'm unsure where you are in the book right now. Was this comment after chapters 1-9 or 10-17? I am deficient in posting the thread on 10-17 which may help but plan to have it up with 18-24's tomorrow. Think about how each character's relationship with their parents has affected them. At some point in the next reading Samuel compares the raising of children to farming: you cannot leave them neutral; either your attention or your neglect will affect them. The knot of the text occurs in this last week's reading, chapters 18-24. At this point it is important to get to know the characters and begin to wrestle with the ideas of good, bad, and determinism. All of the loose threads will come together near the middle of the story. Take a look at the thoughts I post later today or tomorrow and see if they help. If not, let's keep the conversation going. This book is a goldmine but a subtle one; each vein is hidden just below the surface.

Grant

Mr. Goodrich
Admin

https://east-of-eden.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Chapters 1-9: Getting to Know Them Empty Re: Chapters 1-9: Getting to Know Them

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down